I have been thinking a lot about this little corner of the internet we inhabit and our journey not only with the house but also with blogging. It’s been four years of posts, updates, pictures and sharing.
I wanted to start this blog because I thought it would be so fun to share our progress with family and friends. And also, because I enjoy writing. Shortly after starting, I fell in love with the photography aspect just as much as the writing side.
After starting Witt and Company two years ago, my time and energy went towards the business that brought in a paycheck (spoiler alert: it wasn’t the blog), which meant the updates here had to decrease.
I’m not sure if it’s the winter slump that has me craving more creativity or the fact that this little blog still brings me so much joy. Either way, I’m challenging myself in a big way this month – one blog post every day. I’m thinking of it as a creative refresher. We’ve been bustin’ our ass on the kitchen. It’s winter, which means cold and dreary. And, I absolutely love writing the weekly newsletter, so I thought, “Hey. Why not do more of that?”
If you’ve been around for awhile, you may remember the ‘Friday Nesting’ series we used to share every Friday. This segment is a like that but I wanted something different because we’re starting fresh. So, friends. Welcome to Monday Musings. A collection of random thoughts, pictures and stories to help you start your week inspired, entertained, or a little of both.
- This wood feature wall stopped me in my tracks. I absolutely love the idea of a feature wall in one of the bedrooms. We still have one guest bed to renovate and our master bed / bath. Maybe it’ll sneak into one of those?
- Looking for a quick and easy way to decorate a coffee table centerpiece? I mixed deer antlers, twigs and pinecones around a candle – bonus points if the pinecones are scented because they smell extra good when they’re warmed from the candle.
- If you’ve been following along with the kitchen updates, you know that we kind-of decided on floor tile. Until last week when I saw black hexagon/honeycomb tile in a bathroom at a networking event. It got me thinking and I ended up buying a sample from Floor & Decor for $3.00. I think it’ll go really well with the black hardware on the cabinets. It should be here by early next week, so stay tuned!
- Over the weekend, Moxie tore one of her nails. It looked like it was attached to the base of the nail, so cutting it off with a clippers would have meant cutting a good portion of her cuticle. So, I brought her in to the emergency vet (our normal one was all booked up) and after waiting for an hour and a half, the tech brought us back. I held Moxie down while she snipped away. After we were done, she told us there’d be no charge for the visit that day. It was the nicest surprise – considering it’s $150 just to walk in the door. To help stop the bleeding, the tech put on Styptic Solution Powder. It’s now going to be a staple in our house.
- Over the weekend I was thinking about how nice it would be to have a window seat somewhere in the house and flipped the lounge chair so it was parallel to the window as a temporary test. It’s now become a favorite spot of mine (much to Moxie and Gunner’s dismay) and got me thinking about DIY’ing a window seat in that space permanently. I found this tutorial from Jenna Sue Design and this one from Bless’er House that are giving me all the new ideas!
- I’ve been perusing bar stools for the end of our kitchen island. I’m wanting something with a little padding and a high back. In terms of style, I’m going back and forth on leaning more industrial, rustic or modern. #Problems, amiright? I love the camel + black combo of these ones, but am not a huge fan of the legs. I thought about fabric for the chair and like these ones, but we’re messy and might not be able to keep the fabric clean? Which brings me to this option with a similar camel faux-leather color but I’d want to paint the legs black.
- If you’re lookin’ to stock up on all things buffalo check and plaid for next fall + winter, Pottery Barn has their buffalo check throw pillows on sale for $13, this buffalo check throw blanket on sale for $23.99 and this plaid blanket on sale for the same $23.99.
Enjoy the week!
All our best,