These crunchy gluten free date balls rolled in coconut are a crowd pleaser! They’re easy to make and a delicious sweet treat without too much guilt!
Originally posted December 2018 • Updated June 2023Jump to Recipe
Since as long as I can remember, the ladies in my family get together and do a cookie exchange. Think wine, cookies, endless chatter… did I mention wine and cookies? I view it as the unofficial start to all the Christmas festivities and something I look forward to every season.
The first year I was able to join in, my mom tasked me with making a crowd favorite – these delicious date balls.
“They’re so easy to make, Kelly. You can’t mess them up!” She said as I called in a panic, not wanting that kind of pressure with a family favorite ‘cookie’.
Now, almost ten years in, I can confidently say I’ve mastered the art of the date ball – and as much as I’ll deny this later, she was right. They’re SO EASY to make. And, even better, since they’ve got dates and rice krispies in them, they’re basically a breakfast food.
Crunchy Gluten Free Date Balls with Coconut
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 8 ounce packages of chopped dates
- 4 cups rice krispies
- 1.5 – 2 cups chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts are delicious)
- coconut flakes
- In a sauce pan on medium heat, mix together to the sugar and eggs
- Stir in the chopped dates and cook until the mixture comes away from the pan and starts to bubble/fizz (yep, that’s a technical term :-P)
- Remove from heat and let cool
- Stir in the rice krispies and chopped nuts
- Dip your fingers in water, roll the mixture into a ball and then roll in coconut flakes
The only hard part of making these is not eating them all before you’re done! 🙂 Enjoy!
All our best,